PIN IT! ↓
Here’s how you can create your own EDIBLE SENSORY PLAY: WORMS! activity for kids:
I created my own versions of edible Dirt/Soil/Sand, worms, hints of grass seedlings, and then rocks.
- For the dirt/soil I used chocolate boxed cake mix! ha! It was cheap, easy, and I had it on hand. I also crushed some chocolate Oreos to add to the mix.
- For the sand I crushed animal crackers (you could also crushed graham crackers).
- The worms are a blend of boiled (and cooled) spaghetti noodles, mixed with brown and black gel food colorings, and a few of these cool black bean noodles, too! They aren’t the cheapest of noodles, hence me using mostly normal spaghetti noodles, but these do look grossly realistic!
- The hints of grass seedlings are just a few dark and light green sprinkles mixed in.
- The rocks are actually fondant! I love having fondant on hand as sometimes I use it as an edible replacement for Play dough. (Homemade fondant recipe coming to the blog soon!) You could also buy pre-made boxed fondant. I kneaded a small amount of white and black fondant together, but not so much as I wanted a marble/rock appearance. If you’d rather not make your own rocks, there are plenty of options to purchase candy rocks, such as these chocolate rock candies.
I provided trays, extra containers, and scoops, and let them go crazy!
As funny as it sounds, they ate as much as they played! Momma thinks ‘Gross!’. The children screamed ‘yum‘!